You’ve got a big decision to make. It’s an important decision and it’s beginning to weigh on you – where to go for your next family vacation? You’ve been to the typical vacations spots – Florida, Caribbean, Mexico, etc. It’s time to change it up and add a “new” destination to the mix. Los Angeles (and southern California) will give you a bit of everything you can want or need in a family vacation – sights, beach, activities, food and more!
Plan your Trip to LA
A trip to LA gives you the chance to explore neighboring cities in southern California. Long Beach, Anaheim, Malibu, Santa Monica are all nearby and each have things to do (see below). As a major city known for entertainment, LA always has a raft of upcoming events- special events, game, concert or festival. The chance to see a great show or band may help you settle on your travel dates.
LAX (Los Angeles Airport) is a very busy airport with lots of airline and flight choices so booking your flight is easy. While you could try getting around the LA area on public transit (subway, light rail or bus), taxi or even bicycle (in some areas), it is definitely easier to rent a car. Traffic in the LA area can be challenging so allowing extra travel time for traffic is a necessity.
With hundreds of Los Angeles area hotels, there’s no shortage of places to stay. Think of your hotel as your “home base” because your LA family vacation will have you taking day trips in and around LA. Disneyland is in Anaheim; the Queen Mary ship is in Long Beach; movie studios are in Hollywood; the Santa Monica Pier is of course in Santa Monica.
Photo by B. Williams on Trover.com
What to do in LA?
There is no shortage of things to do and places to see. Here’s just a few:
– Los Angeles Tours – This is the quick and easy way to see LA and area. Top tours are – the Legends of Hollywood, Downtown Los Angeles Food Tour, Little Tokyo Food Tour, and the Hop On/Hop Off Los Angeles/Hollywood Bus.
– Universal Studios Hollywood – A studio tour is pretty much mandatory. Universal has rides, shows and attractions on this highly rated Hollywood tour.
– Santa Monica – There’s Santa Monica Place, the beach and the iconic Pier with its amusement park, arcade and shops.
Photo by Jim Nix on trover.com
– La Brea Tar Pits & Page Museum – The Tar Pits have been around for 40,000 years and actually contain hot tar. The Page Museum, on site, has one of the largest collections of Ice Age fossils in the world and also contains tar pits artifacts.
– Disneyland Resort – This is the first and original Disney theme park with something for everyone. You’ll need a full day here to explore the entire park (two days would be better).
With so much to see and do, you simply can’t go wrong with a family vacation in LA!
This article is part of the #HipmunkCityLove series.